Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Orphanage

A couple of days ago, we visited an orphanage in a village just a little down the coastline from here. Heather said she wanted us (and the team who is visiting her right now) to see what a “real orphanage” is like here in Haiti before they see the way it is at the crèche, to give us perspective.

It was… heartbreaking.
The pastor gave us a tour. I think he’s also the director of the orphanage, along with his son. He speaks pretty good English and greeted us all very warmly and cheerfully. But it’s… just hard to put it all together.We walked through a little tin gate into the “courtyard” where the children live. A chinsy blue guitar leaned against a concrete trough full of trash and draped with rags. Trash was everywhere. There must have been pigs next door, because the place reeked.    
It’s hard to describe what it was like in there, but you can probably imagine. You’ve heard it described; it is just like the tragically poor orphanage your mind would conjure up. But… it is real. The dirt on your sandals is real. That junky tent to your left, with piles of wet, dirty clothes thrown about and muddy water leaking into its floor, is real. Worse; it’s where real little boys sleep at night.
I know those rows of girls sitting still on wooden benches might not look it, but they’re real, too. So is the little girl lying inside the bedroom—the one bedroom where all 30-some girls sleep on a few bunk beds—with a broken leg. I knelt down beside her and asked her name. Her smile is gorgeous. I asked in my broken Creole if I could pray for her, and she nodded and gave me another smile. I told her I’d have to pray in English, since I don’t speak much Creole, and she just nodded and smiled again.
So here comes the hardest part to truly believe: the little boys, sitting also in rows on wooden benches but under a different patch of roof… they’re real little boys. They are real little boys that God carefully formed and created in His own image, with a specific plan and purpose, boys who were made to laugh and sing and grow into strong men… and here they sit. Looking into their eyes, you almost wonder if anyone is in there. The hopelessness of their broken spirits is stunning.

That breaks my heart. I know it breaks God’s.
And you know the worst thing about this situation? It’s appalling to see their “bedrooms”, their living space, and the emptiness in their eyes. It’s unbelievable to know that they don’t always have enough to eat, that they’re lucky to eat once a day. It’s horrible to see the big locks on their bedroom doors. But it’s worse to know that, at least for some of these places, it doesn’t have to be.
I cannot judge this particular pastor or his son. I don’t know the full situation. But I did find out yesterday that many, many bad orphanages like this in Haiti are like little personal collections of kids; they will not allow adoption. Why? Because if they keep their poor orphans, then people like us can come and see and be horrified and help out. They can get sponsorship money, and gifts.
Doesn’t that just make you mad?
I am not mad at these orphanage directors. Like I said, I don’t know the full story and I don’t think they live very well either; but this situation has to change.
I ended that day on my face before God, pleading with Him for these little lives. I think many of us who saw this sight did the same. We were touched, sobered, broken… and challenged. Like Heather reminded us, that brokenness should lead us to action. It is possible that bringing this to the attention of the government would result in shutting down the orphanage and moving all the precious kids to Heather’s crèche and hopefully to adoption; that would be wonderful. And for right now, and for most of us, what we can do is fight—spiritually. We can pray.
Will you join me?

3 comments:

  1. What can one say....
    vance was just telling us yesterday that it is SO much harder to push them to the back of your mind once you have seen them. not all of us have the opportunity. for those of you who do may you never forget nor let us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Christy :)

    My family & I have been following your blog & are very blessed by it! We recently visited Idaho (from Arizona) & met the Blounts. When we told them we are adopting from Haiti, they told us about what you're doing & gave us your blog link. :)

    We've just received our referrals...3 children there in Port au Prince...a little girl & 2 boys! We're so excited! Anyhow, my case worker said that if we know anyone who's adopting from Haiti & goes there, we could have them take pictures of the kids & send them to us. I thought of you a while later... I know you don't know us, & I'm not sure if it would even be possible for you to visit them at their orphanage, but the mommy in me just had to ask. :) I totally understand if you would not have the opportunity, & if you did, we would be incredibly grateful! I would just LOVE to know ANYTHING about them!! What they're like, etc. :) So I'll keep praying about it. Let me know what you think, & again, either way, we so admire all God is doing through you, & YES, we WILL go to battle with you in praying! PS One of the greatest influences on our decision to adopt, as well as our 15 yr old daughter's salvation(!!!!!) was the Ludy's video, "Depraved Indifference"... :) God bless you.
    Mickey (my husband) & Dana (me) & family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Dana!
      Wow, what a small world. :) That's so neat that you got to meet the Blounts. They are such dear friends!
      I am so excited about what God is doing in your family, and the new precious little ones that are being grafted into your hearts! I really have no idea if I would be able to visit them, but I would ABSOLUTELY love to if it's at all possible. I am staying about an hour from Port au Prince, so I really don't know if I'll be going there before the end of August. But please tell me where they are and I'll see if I can find anything out. Do you not have any pictures at all? What agency are you going through for the adoption? I just love how God works through adoption. May He bless you abundantly, and continue to supply EVERYTHING you need for this whole process; physically, economically, spiritually and emotionally. He is so able.
      Alright, looking forward to hearing from you. Oh yeah; why don't you just email me at comebythehills@gmail.com; that'd be easier. Have a blessed day!
      Because of Him,
      Christy

      Delete