Saturday, July 28, 2012

Nothing too grand...

Sometimes we get caught up in our own wisdom, even when going about "serving God." At least, I do. But this week, I read the story of Jesus being anointed with spikenard, and I noticed it in a different way. I realized afresh that God's economy is so different than ours. Whereas we tend to be "practical" (as practical as we can be with our extremely limited view of things), He seems to value the intent and appreciate beauty and extravagance in our love. A huge amount of money spent upon Him is not considered a waste, but the widow's two small coins is worth more to Him than hundreds of dollars from the rich.

In this light, the story of the anointing was very interesting. I heard myself in the onlookers’ complaint: “Why has this perfume been wasted? For this perfume might have been sold for over three hundred denarii, and the money given to the poor.” (14:4,5)
 But Jesus’ response was so different than they expected, than I expect. Yes, He commands us to care for the poor, to give up all we possess. But above that, or rather at its core, He commands us to love extravagantly. He does not see as a waste what we lavish on Him. “…You always have the poor with you,” He said, “and whenever you wish you can do good to them; but you do not always have Me.”
This, to me, tells me that although He does want to use me to meet needs in this world, my driving force is not the need, but love for my Master. I am His servant, not the salvation of the world.

That is freeing to me. He commissions me to love; to love Him, and to love others, and to love Him by loving others and love others through Him. It is not a waste to Him for me to lavish all my love on one little baby, or give all my money for one cause, even if it’s not ‘top priority’ by others’ standards. Not that He won’t lead us in wisdom, but it will be His wisdom, not our own, and it might seem backwards to this world.

Come to think of it, this concept is so clear in all of Jesus’ earthly ministry. He came to save the whole world, but He did not “maximize His time” so as to reach the largest number of people possible while He was here. In fact, He didn’t even hold campaigns or organize the healings. It seems He just went about each day doing the Father’s business. Whatever the Father was up to that day, whether speaking truth to a large crowd, stopping to talk to one desperate woman, taking little children into His arms and blessing them, or talking to His small group of disciples, was what He did. 
So, in view of that...
I'd better be going. Changing diapers might seem a little off-topic when on the subject of annointing the feet of Jesus, but I don't think it is at all. :)
We got to go visit the little girl from the orphanage with the broken leg the other day. She's in the hospital now, being taken care of better; but still pray for her please!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Christy for this post. It was such an encouraging reminder of what we are called to in Christ. Above all pouring our love out on Jesus, and following His steps by simply allowing the Lord to guide us moment by moment each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christy,
    Great post! There is great freedom in being called to one thing: loving Jesus, and letting Him lead me like a little child in how He wants me to love Him today.:)

    Love you!
    sarah

    ReplyDelete